Botanical Garden of the University of Halle-Wittenberg
The Botanical Garden Hall is the Botanical Garden of the German City Hall on the River Saale. It was created as Hortus Medicus (remedies) of the halleschen university (founded 1694). tropical house On the grounds of the botanical garden was once the well-known monastery Neuwerk. The Augustine monks entertained gardens in which not only vegetables and fruit, but also medicinal herbs grew. From this time, however, nothing remained, for after the abolition of the monastery in 1531, the area became the "princely garden" of the archbishops of Magdeburg, the lords of the town hall. As early as 1698, the professor of theoretical medicine and royal physician Georg Ernst Stahl had the first beds planted in a part of this garden. A hundred years later, the hall university succeeded in acquiring the whole land and thus creating the conditions for a botanical garden.